Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Moab


We drove down to Moab to camp on Friday the 14th. Monica and John went down for John's spring break and invited us to join them. We had a blast! We stayed next to the Colorado river in Hal Canyon up highway 128 just east of the entrance to Arches.



We got to our campsite in time to set up camp and enjoy the sunset. The orange rock was so vivid against the blue sky with the sun shining directly on the cliffs' face. Orange and blue: my favorite pair of compliments.




We ate a dinner of potatoes and beef, cooked in a dutch oven. Monica and I sat by the fire in the evening and chatted. I love camp fires. I was our self-dubbed fire supervisor. I found wood to burn and tended the flames.


In the morning we packed up and drove through Arches. The views are spectacular. I felt so at home. The terrain was so familiar to me. A flood of fond memories poured into my mind as I saw the different rock formations: being banished to the back of the car for obnoxious behavior on the way home from a camping trip, avoiding the black soil patches on hikes, building mini rock houses, finding hiking and fire sticks...Those were the days!

We made our way through Arches until we reached Devil's Garden. We hiked all the way to Double O and the boys climbed up to the top arch. Dad: I got you a rock from the hike! I should have sent it home with Erika. Maybe you need to fly me home just so I could give it to you in person.



2 comments:

britni jean said...

cool pictures! sounds and looks like you had a great time! i love the picture of you and aj on the sides of that circle (third picture from the bottom).

Ali said...

the red rock...it's in your blood if you descend from daniel mays!! love the photos