Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Service Project Report


Friday, November 21, 2007

We met at 8:00 AM at Paradigm High. In the first half of our time we sorted and boxed the food items we had previously collected from our food drive competition. This was really fun to watch. Everyone in the class took on a job with little or no prompting from me. Some sorted, some boxed, some labelled boxes. This was one of the most rewarding parts of the experience to see them all working together and filling in where help was needed. We then loaded the boxes into a parent's truck and a few students went to deliver the items to the Utah Food Bank. Meanwhile the rest of the class and I cleaned the kitchen and the Hole in the Wall. We wiped out drawers, shelves, and counters. We cleaned the fridge, swept, and mopped. We finished up the day by making and signing a Thank You card for our parent volunteer. The experience ended at 12:15 PM.

On Monday I asked the class to write about their experiences and we had a brief discussion. Many commented on the amount of food we were able to help organize and donate. They were happy to be able to help give so much (1934 pounds!) They were also pleased to be able to help with the kitchen and the Hole in the Wall and knew that because of their labors the school could start selling food items to students.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Sounds like a very efficient project! I'm a little confused at the purpose though, was the food for the school, or for something else? Maybe you mentioned this project before and I just didn't catch it? At any rate, I'm glad things seem to be going well for you in this job =)

AJ and Jessica said...

The food was collected by classes at the school and then donated to the Utah Food Bank. The school places a heavy emphasis on service leadership. (I actually just copied and pasted my report I sent to the school admin into my blog. Sorry if it wasn't very clear, I was being a little lazy.)