Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I LOVE Paradigm!


I thought I would give everyone a school update. First, I LOVE my school. We started out on Monday, August 18th at a retreat up at Heber Valley Camp. It was beautiful, wildlife frolicked everywhere! I saw beaver and chipmunks and deer, etc. We did all kinds of things like canoeing, challenge courses, seminars, and LOTS of chatting and getting to know each other. We were reminded several times to use this time to get to know the other Mentors (Teachers). I never thought I had so much conversation stuck inside me. I guess when you get around others who are as passionate (or more!) about something as you are that's what happens.

The retreat was fun and we spent the last two days of the week back at the school with more seminars. Originally, we were going to start school on September 2nd but our new building is not finished yet so they moved the date back to September 8th. I am excited to have more time to plan, but a little disappointed to not be able to jump into my new classroom yet. I'll have to change my countdown.

I have to tell everyone about Paradigm High School because the school blows me away. We are focused on several things that make us unique (These are just a few):

1. We believe no one can teach anyone else. Mentors or teachers can inspire and invite, but only students can teach themselves.

2. We believe that the Mentor can only teach what she (or he) is. The principles and truths I believe in can ferventaly inspire but trying to teach things I don't believe in makes little impact. Mentors need to teach by example and show a love of learning and work hard to learn along side their students.

3. A person can make a difference. People can make difference when unified.

4. Supportive parents make a HUGE impact.

5. Servant Leaders - Learning to take leading roles in life to serve others. Owning and becoming responsible for your actions and your education.

I just wanted to share with everyone what I am coming to feel strongly about. An education like what Paradigm offers will change our communities, and if allowed to spread, our larger society as well. If you are interested to learn more I suggest reading a couple books: "A Thomas Jefferson Education" and "Anatomy of Peace".

Also I added a link on the right to my class portal thing. You can read my syllabi and course outlines. Let me know if you have any suggestions or fun ideas that would improve my classes.

3 comments:

Ali said...

Jess,
That "thinking" is impressive. I'm so excited for this opportunity. You will inspire many and personally benefit from your time there. Your positivity will help ensure that this experience is remarkable. Good luck, keep those updates coming.

LWinder said...

Wow! So, this is a private school, right? That would be so fun to be able to go on a retreat with the other teachers in my school.
Your school's philosophy is neat, too. It's too bad it doesn't all mesh with the current "No child left behind" mentality that surrounds me at the public Junior High I work at. Everything is focused on getting kids to pass their high-stakes state tests. I could rant and rave about the problems with current public school systems for quite a while. :(
Anyway, I think you are going to have so much fun with your students! I find my work exhausting, but there is a lot that I love about teaching science.
Good-luck to you!

LMM said...

Jessica,

I am so excited for you. I think this will be a highlight experience in your life. You're going to be a great teacher in that environment. So much of the teaching philosophy dovetails with gospel principals that I taught and learned in the Teacher Development class.

Love, MOM