Monday, August 3, 2009

Helping Visitors

Well, the date on here says Monday but it is actually early Wednesday morning because I couldn't finish the post and had to find a free moment another day to complete it. It turns out Justin is sleeping great tonight but I cannot for the life of me fall asleep, so here is my free moment! I'm not even drowsy and every tiny thing is distracting me from being able to settle down. It is ultra frustrating because this is the only time I can sleep. Justin doesn't really take it well when I ask him to feed or entertain himself while I nap.

Anyway, back to my original purpose in posting: helping visits. Karma came down and helped me my first week out of the hospital with Justin. She probably got a little more than she bargained for, I was a little psycho.

I was so worried about Justin being in the NICU while we were in the hospital that I didn't have time to think about bringing him home. We fully expected to be discharged on Sunday and then have to come back and get him. We didn't imagine he would get to come home with us the same day we left. We had never spent the night with him and that first night home was extremely overwhelming. I realized I had no idea what I was doing!

Justin LOVES to be held and would not hear of being set down. Then our first Monday home Justin was tested for Jaundice and had to be under the bili lights 24/7 except for feedings. This, plus the enormous lack of sleep, equalled several regular breakdowns for me. But we got through it.

The next Sunday my Mom, Erika, and Livvy came to help. I was a little more steady by this time and Justin was off the bili lights. Needless to say it was still an adventure.

Also, I can't forget about help from siblings that live close by. Thanks guys. It's been a blessing to have so many offers to help.


The classic, in-a-hat picture taken especially for my Dad.


Looking a lot less yellow. Look at those cute rosy cheeks.


Tag Team 1


Tag Team 2, Part A


Tag Team 2, Part B

1 comments:

Ali said...

He's adorable!

I so appreciate your honesty of how difficult it can be! I'm glad you have such a solid support system. The breakdowns are normal. Everything is just that much harder when you're exhausted, not to mention you had the stress of the lights, etc.

The feeling of ground hog's day will pass. Keep enjoying that incredibly sweet little boy. I wish I was there to hold him so you could nap!