Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pink Day

When I was a little girl the femenist movement was in full throttle and I felt the effects of it. One day I heard, "Can you believe that mommies have to stay home and work while daddies get to go do whatever they want?"

"Well that isn't fair that mommies have to work while daddies go play!" I thought in response. As a result I thought boys had it better, and I wanted to be a "Tough Guy" like them. I wasn't going to be a "Sissy" like girls are! [Side note: I was the biggest sissy you could imagine. For example, once I climbed up the short monkey bars and was afraid to come down. Erika had to go get my mom to help me down.] But because of this "Tough Guy" attitude I decided the color pink was for the "Sissies" to, so I hated the color. Man I was so cool I wore my hat backwards even, but I never wore pink!

Obviously my disdain of my own gender has since been disolved altogether. The last several years I've even found it within my heart to buy and wear pink clothing. But the real change happened when Olivia was born. You just can't help but become more girly when you around a little rose bud. (That is what I thought she looked like when she was born: a perfect representation of a young rose flower in human form, just so pretty).

So I have become so girly that I inwardly accept pink, but I outwardly proclaim to hate it and all it stands for. We're making progress. Maybe soon I will publish a statement of my public acceptance of pink.

Anyway, very short story long, on Valentines Day I (sort of) surprised AJ with a pink dinner! I made a chicken pasta and died it pink, sliced apples, pink juice mixed with bubbly Martinelli's, and pink cookies with pink frosting.

Perhaps that counts as my public statement of acceptance...Nah! I still hate pink!


0 comments: