Friday, December 7, 2007

Babysitting Plus Some

Last Saturday we got to babysit! AJ and I arrived at Erika and Marcus' apartment at about 10am. The drive was a little scary because it was snowing hard. Olivia had a bit of a delayed reaction when she saw us come in: blank stare and then a couple minutes later a big smile!

We started out with blocks and socks. While Olivia played with her colorful blocks I flipped socks at her. I love how she can stay so focused on playing even through a sock barrage. After I finished my lunch, AJ and I took her for a walk in the snow. It had been snowing all morning and I was a little sad I took so long to eat because by the time I was done the snow had stopped falling.

We bundled Olivia up tight and tried out her hat and gloves. She didn't like the gloves very much so we left those home afterall. We got her all buckled up and snugglely with her green elephant blanky in her stroller and started our walk. The problem is AJ had been playing Need for Speed before we left and he had the idea that the stroller was a stunt car. The stroller quickly became a (controlled and safe) speedster drifting around corners and sliding through slosh. I'm not sure Olivia appreciated the imaginary race car ride as much as AJ did.

Occasionally, we took a pit stop from our wild racing. I would pick up some snow in my hand and release Olivia's hand from under her blanket. My suspicions were correct: she took some snow from my hand and put it right to her mouth! And I did the same! I love the taste of snow!

As we passed by some neighborhood kids, one shouted, "You have a cute baby!"

"Thank you!" I said pleased but not willing to admit she wasn't really my own. I am a proud aunt Jessi!

After our short winter wonderland adventure we settled down for a game of giggles. For some reason all Olivia wants to do when she's with me lately is stand up. So I sat on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table and I stood her up against my knees. Then I would knock her down into the pile of blankets and pillows next to me and growl and eat her tummy. She was full of laughing and smiling.

When Erika and Marcus got home we decided to get a Christmas tree, go to dinner, and then go to the Festival of Trees. We found a tree and quickly moved on to dinner plans. I wanted to to try the Cheesecake Factory and so did everyone else in Utah! At 5pm they told us the wait would be 3 hours! So, we went to Applebee's. We all ordered the same thing too! How strange. Then we went to the Festival of Trees. I was so surprised to see so many things sold. In fact, I didn't see anything that wasn't sold! We weren't able to look at all the trees but there were a lot of good ones, including Gavin's tree! His was the best of all. Erika took our picture with his tree and gave it to me but I lost it. :( I will post it when I find it.

AJ and I ran into our high school friend Natalie there. That was cool too. It was a fun day!

0 comments: