Friday, December 28, 2007

The BEST Surprise...EVER!

WHAT HE DID...
December 27, 2007 was our 2 year anniversary. AJ and I got off work early at 3pm so we could have a little party. We were going to pig out on peanut M&Ms and pizza while watching Stardust. We were borrowing Monica and John's Wii to have a big competition. To document our party, we video taped us explaining how we were going to celebrate. Afterward, AJ said he had a surprise for me because my Christmas was spoiled (I inadvertantly discovered my Christmas presents early).

He turned the video camera back on and pulled out a big box...actually he pulled out his night table which happens to be a big Dell box (we're high class!) and told me to open it.

My mind was blank while I thought about what it could be. Nothing came to mind! I recalled the last time AJ announced he had a surprise. He called me excited while I was at the store. When I got home I found the surprise was a Jason's Deli coupon, which was great but maybe didn't quite deserve the level of enthusiasm he displayed. So, as I pulled open the box flaps I was COMPLETELY surprised to see a beautifully packaged Wii staring up at me!


WHY THIS WAS THE BEST SURPRISE OF MY LIFE...
I suppose it started this summer when we first played the Nintendo Wii together at our neighbors' Jason and Kristy's home. The moment I beat AJ in boxing I was sold! I never beat AJ at any video game!

Later this fall, during a routine trip to Costco, we were standing in a check out line and a pallet piled high with Wiis lay directly in front of us. We were seconds from purchasing it, but We are not impulse buyers and even though we both wanted it I think we were both relieved to have walked out of Costco without it in our cart. That relief quickly turned to regret.

After AJ's coworker Chase and his wife Becky invited us over for Sunday dinner and a Wii tournament we began feverishly searching for the Wii. But by this time it was already December and Wiis were out of stock everywhere. The base console that retails for $250 was going for $400 on ebay. And stores were keeping shipping dates secret from employees so it was a mystery when the small shipments would come in.

After a few feeble attempts to win a Wii on ebay before the holidays, I resigned. I faced the facts: the Wii was UNOBTAINABLE (stamped in big red letters).


HOW HE DID IT...
AJ learned that his friend, Michael, had an uncle who was the manager of the Orem Costco. While most all the Costco employees were not privy to Wii shipping information, Michael's uncle was.

On Thursday morning, December 20th, AJ got word that a shipment of 50 Wiis had arrived at Costco. His friend Michael stood in line at 9am waiting for Costco to open. But AJ worked on Thursday morning and he couldn't get off work. It was against policy to take off time without notice.

Luckily, the supervisor on guard had been pursuing the same wild goose chase. He and his wife drove to California for Thanksgiving and called every store along the way looking for the Wii. They did not find a single store with Wiis in stock. So, this supervisor let AJ run to Costco.

AJ was hoping to get 3 Wiis so we could sell 2 on ebay, but Costco would only sell one Wii per membership number. Michael bought one on his membership, AJ bought one, and our neighbor Dallan took time out of his day to come buy one for us.

When AJ got back to work with 3 Wiis he sold one (at cost) to his supervisor as a thank you for letting him go. And while we were in Arizona for Christmas, my Grandparents enjoyed it so much that they bought the 3rd one from him (at cost). I'm proud of my husband for being honorable and putting people ahead of money.


WII THANK EVERYONE WHO HELPED...
All in all there were about 11 people who helped AJ get the Wii and several people including friends, siblings, parents, and grandparents who kept the secret so that AJ could give this fun surprise. Thank you!

We'll have a picture and video to follow soon!

2 comments:

britni jean said...

i like reading your stories, you make them so fun to read. great job AJ. i'm glad that you got your wii, jess! merry christmas and happy anniversary!

Lindsay said...

Happy Anniversary! I think that was a great idea AJ. What a great guy!