Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Quit!


In mid April I got a call from Celia at Paradigm High School. She was looking for someone she interviewed with last year who brought in a lot of ceramic pieces. I told her that, "I think that was me!"

Celia was looking for an art teacher for this next school year. She had remembered me a year later among all the other interviewees from this year and last (a high complement, she repeatedly told me, and I took it as that).

I interviewed with her the day I left for Arizona in late April. I was very much at ease. I arrived early and was impressed with the student body as they passed by me sitting in the lobby. Nearly every student looked me in the eye and some said hello. Students even held open doors for me as I lugged heavy boxes of art work. When crossing the street a driving student paused to let me cross. This experience is a stark contrast to an interview I had at a high school the summer of 2006. Students wouldn't so much make eye contact.

As I interviewed with the school officials I felt I was in my element. I was at a school that empowers teachers and students to teach and learn what excites them. The philosophy of the school is so in sync with my own. I felt like I had to keep lifting my jaw from off the ground, I was in amazement.

I heard nothing the week I was out of town. I was a little discouraged by that. AJ and I returned home on a Monday. I got a call Tuesday from Paradigm, "We would like to offer you the job!" I had the week to think it over and on Monday, May 5, 2008 I happily accepted the position.

So since the beginning of May I have had this news but was unable to share it with anyone in the office. I wanted very much to be able to give my notice myself and not have anyone hear it through the grape vine before the time was right. I wanted to wait until now before giving my notice for various reasons but mostly because I wasn't ready to leave until mid July.

School FAQ
1. Paradigm is a charter school. http://www.paradigmhigh.com/
2. Paradigm is located at about 11700 S. and Bangerter
3. I am not sure yet exactly what I will be teaching but I would like to teach Ceramics, Drawing, Graphic Design, and Painting
4. The school year starts in mid August.
5. Yes, I am EXCITED!!!

Have another question for me? Ask it in the comments and I will answer it.

3 comments:

-erika :) said...

Just wanted to give you a big congratulations! I know you are looking forward to this teaching job. It will be lots of fun to do what you wre trained for.

LMM said...

Wahoo!!! I am so excited for your new job. I have fond memories of you teaching me how to throw on the wheel. You will be a fantastic teacher at Paradigm HS.

Love, MOM

Ali said...

Congratulations!!! It's sounds like it's the perfect fit. I'm very happy for you!