Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Is My Baby Turning Into a Carrot?

When we left the hospital, the Dr told us we could take Justin with us (miracle) but he also said we needed to return the next morning to do a bilirubin test. It turns out he has Jaundice and the Dr ordered lights. This was hard for me to accept because our first night with him was so difficult. He was awake all night and did not want to be set down and he wasn't taking food very easily. I had hardly any sleep for the last several nights and when the Dr told me he needed to be kept in a suitcase 24 hrs a day accept for feedings I knew he would have a hard time being in there and my heart broke again for him.

We got the lights and started feeding him more often and tried to get him to eat more to pass the bilirubin quicker. He had an adjustment period but he has done so well! He loves to be touched and held so sometimes feedings are a little longer to accommodate for cuddle time. The latest test showed his bili levels have gone down slightly and we go in for another test this morning. He is looking less like a carrot and more like a little boy so I am hoping his bili levels show much more improvement.

I would like to also add that he is eating SO much better now. I am so impressed with him. Each time he has struggled with something we work together and he gets right down to business. He is a fast learner and even though there is an asjustment period he plows through and improves what he needs to quickly. I am so thankful he is able to do that.

Here are a few random pictures and pictures of the lights he is under.


Look how little he is in his carseat! What a tiny cutie!


What a cute pair!





3 comments:

Sanja said...

First of all, congratulations guys! Your little boy is sooo sweet! I am sorry about all you had to go through, but I am glad you are so patient and calm with your boy, that makes things a lot easier. In a few days you will all get used to your new begining. I am sure by now he is close to be back to a normal skin colour. Enjoy your little miracle! I knew that everything was gone be all right, but you were in my toughts and in my prayers. Once again, coungratulations to you and to your family!

Lindsay said...

AWW! He is so cute and tiny! i hope all is going well!

Diane said...

Wow, I have never seen the suitcase version. When Jay had jaundice we were told to put him on a bili-blanket, which if you've never seen one, is a light pad attached to a hose with the machine on the other end. We would put Jay in nightgowns and stick it up the bottom so the pad was on his back or tummy. We got very sick of it very soon because he always had to be attached to a hose, but apparently I should be grateful for it! I wonder why you didn't have this option, maybe Justin's jaundice is worse? At any rate, I'm glad he is off of it now, and I hope that your nights are settling into more of a routine so you can figure out when to sleep. Thank heaven for family!!!