Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pregnancy Update

This Monday I went in for my regular Dr's appointment and my belly measured small (34.5cm), the same as last week. My Dr ordered an ultrasound and I came in later that day. The ultrasound showed the baby in the 1st percentile of size and my amniotic fluid at 6.1cm when it is supposed to be more like 8 or 9cm.

Because of these low numbers I was sent to the hospital to do a NST (Non-stress Test) so the baby's heart beat could be monitored. The NST showed the baby was fine. But when the DR learned the results of the ultrasound he had me admitted to the hospital over night. I was put on an IV to increase my fluids and was continuously on a NST.

Tuesday afternoon I was scheduled for another ultrasound, but at the hospital this time. This machine is a little more precise than the one at the Dr's office. Waiting for this ultrasound was a little unnerving because if my fluids didn't increased or the baby's size showed under the 10th percentile the Dr was going to induce me and deliver the baby today. Luckily things looked good. The read out showed my amniotic fluid increased to 10cm and the baby's size was actually in the 25th percentile.

Now I will go in twice a week to be monitored with an NST and AFI (Amniotic Fluid Index). I have a regular Dr's appointment and a more specialized ultrasound scheduled for next Monday. The Dr is thinking he'll induce me during the 39th week (I am 37 weeks today). Since the baby will be far enough along, it makes more sense to deliver him than keep monitoring.

1 comments:

Ali said...

I'm sorry for the scare! I hope everything goes smoothly! Best of luck and YES... I think he'll have red hair!